The last week of August heralds the end of the summer holidays. But don’t be downhearted, because the fabulous annual Heritage Week ensures that the Irish summer always goes out with bang, not a whimper! And this year’s family programme is well worth the wait.
As always, Getoutfindout.ie has chosen a family highlight for every single one of Heritage Week’s jam-packed nine days. But don’t take our word for it – their website has a useful search facility which allows you to look for family activities specifically in your local area.
Getoutfindout.ie is also getting in on the Heritage Week action this year, by offering a FREE DOWNLOAD of our Family Activity Trail Map & Guide for Derrynane House and Beach (Co. Kerry). This is an exclusive offer because our Derrynane trail is not currently available on our website for general download.
Apart from the Getoutfindout.ie trail, here are our top – er – nine! (cue music . . . .)
- Saturday 19th August: FREE Hands On Workshop: Food & Eating in Pre-History, Cork Public Museum
- Sunday 20th August: Kildare Town Medieval Festival
- Monday 21st August: Build A Bug Hotel, National Botanic Gardens
- Tuesday 22nd August: Ripples in the Rockpools, Tramore Beach, Waterford
- Wednesday 23rd August: Wild Child Day in Rossmore Park, Co. Monaghan
- Thursday 24th August: Nature Detective Day, Glenveagh National Park, Co. Donegal
- Friday 25th August: Irish Rocks and Minecraft Rocks, Abbeyleix Library, Co. Laois
- Saturday 26th August: Wicklow Bound Family Walk & Nature Talk, Newcastle, Co. Wicklow
- Sunday 27th August: Dodder Otter Spotting, Dublin
And if all that isn’t enough, August is also the time for the always-fab IFI Family Film Festival (Day 1, Day 2, Day 3), the Ukelele Hooley & Killruddery’s annual Last of the Summer Fling (and lots more listed in our Whats On section).